I wrote this for http://www.fruitsandveggiesmorematters.org.
If you like that dish, you’ll LOVE this one!
|Like That?||LOVE This!|
|Apple fritter donut||Pancakes made with natural applesauce mixed in and sprinkled with cinnamon, chopped apples and walnuts|
|Toaster Waffles||Whole grain toaster waffle “burritos” – top toasted waffle with sliced bananas/ strawberries and roll to eat on the go|
|Cereal with 1% or fat free milk||Cereal with 1% or fat-free milk, fresh blueberries, strawberries, or sliced peaches|
|Greek yogurt||Reduced-fat or fat-free Greek yogurt with diced nectarine|
|Trail mix made with low-fat granola and almonds||Trail mix made with low-fat granola, almonds, and dried cranberries|
|Peanut butter and jelly sandwich on white bread||Peanut butter and sliced banana (or apple) on whole grain|
|Turkey wrap with lettuce and mayo||Turkey wrap with lettuce, sliced avocado, tomato|
|Macaroni and cheese||Kicked up mac ‘n cheese with peas and corn See Recipe|
|Chips with ranch dressing||Carrot coins, cucumber slices, and bell pepper strips with ranch dip (mix fat-free Greek yogurt with ranch dressing mix to add a dairy serving and blast the fat)|
|Canned chicken noodle soup||Chicken noodle soup with veggies See Recipe|
|Buttered noodles||Cheesy pasta primavera See Recipe|
|Grilled chicken and mayonnaise potato salad||Grilled chicken, made-over potato salad and grilled grapes See Recipe|
|Pie (two crusts, canned filling)||Simple homemade peach & blackberry cobbler made with frozen fruit (recipe below)|
Peach & Blackberry Cobbler
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Bake Time: 30-35 minutes
Amount: 8 servings
- 2 (10 ounce) packages organic frozen sliced peaches, thawed, drained
- 1 (10 ounce) package frozen blackberries, thawed, drained
- 1 cup cane sugar
- ¼ cup whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1½ cups buttermilk biscuit mix
- 6 tablespoons organic milk
- 1½ tablespoons butter, softened
- In large bowl, combine peaches, blackberries, sugar, flour and cinnamon. Transfer to a greased 8×8-inch baking dish.
- In small bowl, combine remaining ingredients. Drop by teaspoonfuls onto peach mixture.
- Bake in a preheated 400°F oven 30-35 minutes or until golden brown and bubbly.Nutrition information per serving:
1/8 of recipeAmount Per Serving:
Total Fat: 3g
Saturated Fat: 1g
Dietary Fiber: 5gKim Kirchherr, MS, RD, LDN, CDEDietitianJewel-Osco©2008-2013 Produce for Better Health Foundation. All rights reserved.