Happy New Year! A fresh start to the year can mean a fresh outlook on health. Here are five ways to make healthier choices the easier (and fun!) thing to do:
- Start at home. Look in your pantry, freezer, and refrigerator. Do you have all five food groups (fruits, vegetables, low fat and fat free dairy, lean protein, whole grains) ready to go? Are tasty, nutritious choices easily accessible? Set up your environment so it’s easy to make better choices, even when you are tired. Make your grocery list reflect what you want to accomplish at mealtime.
- Make the (right) time. Whether we admit it or not, it takes time to plan…but it also takes time to figure out what to eat when you don’t have a plan. If time isn’t spent shopping for groceries or planning meals, time will be spent in search of a meal. How do you want to spend your time?
- Make self care a priority. Taking care of ourselves is important. If you get sick, you can’t take care of anyone else, so priority one is you. Do not feel bad or sorry for it. We all get one body. Take care of it the best you can.
- Create a support system. Talk to your inner circle and see where you can work together to support each other’s health goals. Swap recipes, walk together (socially distant and/or on the phone) and find other small ways to share in and enjoy new, healthier habits.
- Start now. January 1 is a traditional place to start fresh, but really, it’s pretty much always a good time to start making better choices. There may be a few starts and stops along the way, but every day, every meal, and every snack offers the opportunity to make better choices. Make this the year your self care journey becomes your new foundation.
What will you do first?