We really could not have predicted that the immune system would be the focus of so many headlines in 2020. But here we are.
What if I told you a key to helping keep yourself healthy is to eat a variety of foods from all five food groups, get adequate sleep, and move regularly?
If you want specifics about nutrients, you can find some credible sources for that (see below for a few). I personally like to think in terms of meals, snacks, and what we eat over the course of the day or week. If you keep this in mind, you can put yourself on a path to enjoy your choices, meet your needs, and be healthy, even before sickness comes our way – and that, dear friends, is right where we want to be:
- Eat a variety of foods from all five food groups and choose a variety within each food group.
- Practice portion control (eating too much of one thing, even a nutritious thing, might mean you aren’t leaving room for other nutritious things).
- Brush and floss daily.
- Wash your hands regularly. With soap.
- Clean the house regularly.
- Make sleep a priority every day.
- Make exercise a priority every week.
Take a moment to consider what you are powering your body with every day. Picture yourself as a super hero, the main character, in a movie. Would it change how you eat or prioritize your health? You can rescue yourself from poor choices. Which one will you tackle first?
Read more (check out my other blogs, too):
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: How to Keep Your Immune System Healthy
Academy of Nutrition and Dietetics: Support Your Health With Nutrition
You must be logged in to post a comment.